Talking to animal owners and managers
Veterinarians are in a unique position to educate animal owners and managers on how they can prevent antimicrobial resistance (AMR). It is important to educate your clients to only ask for or use antimicrobials if necessary and when prescribed by a veterinarian.
What you can do
- Talk to clients about ways to minimise the use of antimicrobials.
- Make owners aware of AMR resources including:
- the Australian Veterinary Associations (AVA) policy on the use of waste products on agricultural land
- the AVA's fact sheet about safe handling of animals being treated with antibiotics (PDF, 111KB).
- Explain the importance of following directions on antibiotic prescriptions.
- Assist animal owners and managers in considering the biosecurity practices and hygiene measures that can be implemented on farm (BIOCHECK Biosecurity Plan and Animal Health Australia’s farm biosecurity plan).
- Get your practice and clients involved in antibiotic awareness week.
- Refer animal owners and managers to the what animal owners can do and the what agriculture and industry can do pages on this website.