Antibiotic resistance occurs when bacteria change to protect themselves from an antibiotic. The more we use antibiotics, the more chance bacteria have to become resistant to them.
- Prevent infections by regularly washing your hands and keeping up to date with vaccinations
- Prevent food-borne infections by washing fruits and vegetables and cooking food properly
- Understand that antibiotics only work against bacteria. They do not work for colds and flus which are caused by viruses
- Don’t pressure your health professional for antibiotics if they say you don’t need them, ask about other ways to relieve your symptoms
- Only take antibiotics when they are prescribed for you, don’t use or share leftover antibiotics
- Follow your health professional’s instructions when you are prescribed antibiotics