Antibiotic resistance occurs when bacteria change to protect themselves from an antibiotic. The more we use antibiotics, the more chance bacteria have to become resistant to them.
- Consider any safe alternatives to an immediate antibiotic prescription
- Prescribe in accordance with therapeutic guidelines, and where possible use diagnostics to inform treatment decisions
- Talk to your patients about the importance of appropriate antibiotic use and the dangers of antibiotic resistance
- Give your patients advice on how to manage symptoms without antibiotics
- Apply best practice infection prevention and control
- Talk to your patients about how to prevent infections and their spread (e.g. vaccination, good hygiene and hand washing)