The Senate Finance and Public Administration References Committee’s report Progress in the implementation of the recommendations of the 1999 Joint Expert Technical Advisory Committee on Antibiotic Resistance (JETACAR) was released in June 2013. It made 10 recommendations relating to enhanced monitoring and reporting of antibiotic usage and resistance in animals and humans, strengthening antibiotic stewardship and infection control measures in both acute and primary care settings, and increasing investments in research.
This response addresses these recommendations and has been prepared by the Department of Health, incorporating input from other Australian Government agencies, including:
- Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care
- National Health and Medical Research Council
- Department of Agriculture and Water Resources
- Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority, and
- Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.